Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I look really good in shoulder pads!

Admittedly, I used to love watching the Golden Girls. Nothing better than a summer day as a 12-year old, sitting on the couch with a bowl of Ramen and "catching up" on Golden Girls, Murder She Wrote and Hogan's Heroes.

But somewhere along the way, I've forgotten that love. The Ramen noodles and oldies of my youth were replaced with the more grown-up choices like Pasta Roni and TLC / Bravo.

And then Bea Arthur passed. I've since found myself longing for the thrilling goings on of the fab four - hair styled with a pick, large costume earrings, and drapey nightgowns. So tonight, when I saw it on the TV listings, I couldn't NOT turn it on. Brian rolled his eyes. I felt my heart melt a little for the nostalgia.

I can't help but wonder what my days as a retired gal might be like. How long will my ol' man live? Where will I be? How can I get my salt and pepper locks to hold curl and puff up/feather out so my gold dangly earrings show??

I think it would be a wonderful thing, if widowed, to move in and live it up a bit with my girlfriends. I would certainly be sad to lose my husband, but it'd be fun to have a lil' ol' blue hair sorority! I sometimes get a bit sad that I never had the opportunity to live with girlfriends, but the prospect of doing so in my "golden years" brings a smile to my face. Ohhhh the shenanigans we'll get ourselves into.....

So.... who's with me??

6 comments:

  1. Me! Me! I always wanted to live in a sorority, but never did. I had a roommate right out of my mom's house and it didn't work out. At all. But I think living with multiple others would be a blast! My boyfriend at the time lived in a house with four of his best friends and they always had something to laugh about. Admittedly, the bathroom was incredibly scary and they never cleaned it for their lady visitors, but they had fun nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my point was that yes, it would certainly be fun to get to live those group living days out at some point in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if Brian is terrified of how excited you are to be a widow.

    (Hide the sharp knives dude.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He said yesterday, "Soooo.... what gives you so much certainty that you'll outlive me??"

    Gee, I don't know grandpa. Maybe the fact that you were born before electricity was invented?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Git off my lawn you damn kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you! I never lived with girlfriends either, nor did I ever live by myself. Wish I would have had both opportunities.

    I'm moderately sure I'll be outliving my hubs - I say it's because of the 10 year age difference (him senior), he'll tell you it'll be antifreeze in lime jello..... ah well - he can Brian can gripe about their overconfident wives together. ;P

    ReplyDelete