Friday, January 16, 2009

"Making It" In Makeup

While pondering my future career aspirations over the past few weeks and the issues surrounding my start with Aveda, I've found myself considering the option to start doing makeup for weddings as often as I possibly can. Sounds like fun, but there are a few factors to consider:

1. It'd take a great deal of investment to get my makeup kit to a semi-professional level. We're talking hundreds of dollars. More foundation colors & types, more powder colors, eye shadows, brushes, etc.

2. Who even knows WHEN I'll start school, but I'd be hesitant to make any bookings for fall, as I would feel terrible having to cancel.

3. I can imagine that it'll be extremely difficult to get business. Not to mention the fact that I'll be essentially on hiatus from it for the entire duration of Aveda, so once I get to the point that I do have some word of mouth advertisement, I'll be in school an unable to take clients.

4. I know I need to do hair, as a career in makeup is not exactly a sustainable idea. And in order to do that, I need an education and licensure, so it's not like once I get into the groove of special occasion makeup that I can do that 100%. I also really enjoy hair as well, and look forward to delving into that skill a bit further.

All in all, I'm just having a really difficult time trying to map out the road between the here and now and the beginning of my new career.

Until then, I fully plan to start work on a portfolio of makeup looks using some friends as model.... who wants to volunteer??

xoxo

KTM

1 comment:

  1. me! I'll model!!!!

    and if you ever want to dye my hair to add it to your portfolio, let me know, because I am definitely feeling very MEH about it on my own...

    ReplyDelete